There has been an increased demand for whiter and brighter teeth and an attractive smile. This helps enhance your overall personality, boosting your confidence. But certain factors like stained or discolored teeth can take away the spark from your smile, leading to embarrassment.
Teeth whitening treatment provided by our renowned dentist in El Dorado Hills, CA, can effectively eliminate stains from your teeth using at-home clear trays.
Teeth whitening explained
The ADA (American Dental Association) describes “teeth whitening” as any process that will make teeth appear whiter, using at-home or in-office systems. Currently, many dentists are recommending at-home clear trays since they are convenient. The teeth whitening system consists of an active bleaching agent, such as hydrogen peroxide. This breaks down into tiny oxygen bubbles that are responsible for removing stubborn stains from your tooth surface.
At-home teeth whitening systems involve teeth bleaching using customized clear trays that are so thin that are able to talk and work while wearing them.
Teeth whitening can eliminate stubborn stains
At-home teeth whitening system effectively minimizes or eliminates stains from the enamel surface of your teeth. Stains or discoloration can be caused due to the following reasons:
- The natural physiological process of aging
- Poor oral hygiene
- Certain medications like tetracycline and antibiotics
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Pigmented foods (berries, curries) and drinks (tea, coffee, and wine)
Remember that teeth whitening is effective only for stains that are confined to the enamel. Dentin stains require other extensive treatments like dental veneers and crowns.
At-home teeth whitening procedure
At-home teeth whitening procedure is easy, safe, and convenient. It involves the following steps:
- Your dentist will evaluate the extent and type of stains present.
- A full mouth impression will be recorded and sent to the laboratory to fabricate the transparent bleaching trays.
- The ultra-thin trays will be tried inside your mouth to check the fit.
- For mild to moderate teeth staining, you will be advised to use the trays twice or thrice a day for 30 minutes each.
- If you have severe stains, you would be advised to wear the trays overnight.
Using the bleaching trays at home:
- After you brush your teeth, fill your clear trays with the active bleaching agent.
- Place the tray inside your mouth and remove the excess gel.
- Once you are done with the duration of whitening, clean the trays with normal tap water using a soft-bristled brush.
- Store the trays in the case provided by your dentist.
- Remember to clean your mouth after every use.
At-home teeth whitening system is an effective method to eliminate stains and lighten the teeth. However, ensure to follow a proper oral hygiene regime for long-lasting results.